Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Calloo Callay oh Frabjous Day!

 

Dear Everybody - Before I get to this month's question - which I am most excited to answer - I have an announcement to make. I wrote my first post on this blog (on any blog) on April 3, 2008 - so that's thirteen years and change. My main reason for writing this blog was to set goals and keep myself accountable in my writing life. I have been writing all my long life and although I have had essays and poems published, and plays produced, my lifelong dream has been to have a book published. If you look over my journals or this blog - that has never changed. Every year in my journal I write it as a goal - or at least the goal of pursuing publication.

Crooked Knife, a mystery set in Labrador, will be published in 2022 by Boulder Books, a publishing company based in Newfoundland Labrador. 

Writing that here makes it more than real for me. The IWSG has been absolutely one of the main factors that kept my bum in my chair - writing. Those of you who have met your goals know the value of community and those who sense it but haven't gotten there yet - keep on! Keep on writing - keep on longing - keep on making your goals known. I know that promising others on this site to keep on meant, fundamentally, promising myself. No other insecure writer was going to call me up or shoot me a message saying "come on Morrison - get with it - a promise made is a debt unpaid!" but still, for me anyway, declaring my secret desires gave me the oomph to keep on.

The monthly meeting of the IWSG is now in session:

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting!


August 4 question - What is your favorite writing craft book? Think of a book that every time you read it you learn something or you are inspired to write or try the new technique. And why?

The awesome co-hosts for the August 4 posting of the IWSG are PK Hrezo, Cathrina Constantine, PJ Colando, Kim Lajevardi, and Sandra Cox!

Now - best craft books on writing - Wowza - I cannot pick one. So here are a few of my well-thumbed books on writing:

For inspiration:

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
On Writing by Stephen King (also for craft - he is a master of both!)

for craft:

Writer's Workshop by Stephen Koch
The Art of Fiction by John Gardiner
Write Away by Elizabeth George (and not just for mystery writing either!)


for different times:

On Writer's Block by Victoria Nelson
Write for your Lives by Joseph Sestito

and definitely the book I could not live without:

The Artful Edit by Susan Bell - geared obviously to revising but so inspiring and so many essays by writers and creatives I admire - it is inspirational and challenging and packed to the gills for excellent ways to consider your work.

Hope all of you are doing well and well enough! See you next month...

8 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congratulations on 13 years of blogging, Jan! And thanks for the list of helpful resources for writers, too.

Liza said...

Why am I not surprised your three top books are my three top books? Once again, Jan, please know how delighted I am for you. I look forward to reading Crooked Knife! Such happy, wonderful news!

Sandra Cox said...

Many congrats on CROOKED KNIFE. How exciting.
This the second time today I've seen WRITING DOWN THE BONES today. It's going on my TBR.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
Some of the books that you name, I have. But, I confess that they have been only a one time or I read a chapter pertaining to how to write something that I wasn't sure of. However, it is good to have them because I can always go back to them.
All the best.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

PK HREZO said...

Big congrats on the publication Jan!! And wow 13 years blogging is impressive. Bravo!!

Margot Kinberg said...

I am absolutely delighted for you, Jan, that Crooked Knife will be published! That is absolutely wonderful! And well done on 13 years of blogging; I am nourished every time I visit here.

Jan Morrison said...

Thank you dear writing pals!

Lori said...

Congratulations on Crooked Knife! I am thrilled for you!

I'm still working on keeping my butt in that seat. Your story will inspire me.

I'll definitely check out the artful edit, too.