Wednesday, August 5, 2020

still crazy, still writing - another meeting of the IWSG

Calling another meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group!  What is the IWSG I hear you ask? Very straight-forward: 
HOW IT BEGAN:

Alex J. Cavanaugh, the founder, noticed a lot of blog posts from writers mentioning their doubts, concerns, and lack of confidence. He also saw the positive replies they received and realized that the writing community offered an abundance of support. Writers want to see other writers succeed, which is how he came up with the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. This group would act as a form of therapy, letting writers post about situations where they need encouragement, or to offer words of encouragement to others if they have experience.

On September 7, 2011, Alex launched the monthly blog posting of the IWSG and it has been going strong ever since.

On the first Wednesday of every month we share of thoughts about writing on our blogs. We also have an optional monthly question to assist with member's posts, which can be found on the Sign-Up page.

August 5 question - Quote: "Although I have written a short story collection, the form found me and not the other way around. Don't write short stories, novels or poems. Just write your truth and your stories will mold into the shapes they need to be."
Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn't planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance?

Okay - a very good question.  I write poetry, plays, novels, and creative non-fiction. I have written only a few short-stories and when I entered them in contests the jury members would undoubtedly mention that there was too much going on and didn't I mean to write a novel? Well, yes I did. As to genre - mostly I just want to write a good story but out of my five or so mostly-finished manuscripts - two are mysteries, two are 'literary' (whatever the sam hill that is) and one might be YA - with another YA coming along. 

I like artists that bend the form - Michael Ondaatje started as a poet - did a sort of long-form poem/play (The Collected Works of Billy the Kid)  and is mostly now known for his wonderful novels. Kate Atkins wrote literary fiction and then decided mysteries might be fun and manages to go back and forth between the two. Margaret Atwood - novels, poems, essays. I like polymaths like Leonardo da Vinci - painting, drawing, sculpting, architecture, science, inventing. Or Benjamin Franklin (author, politician, inventor, scientist) or Joni Mitchell (singer, songwriter, painter). I could go on. But I won't - because I have lots to get at.

Here's a quote that works for me:
I certainly agree that putting everything into little genres is counterproductive. You're not going to get too many surprises if you only focus on the stuff that fits inside the box that you know. David Byrne

or how about one from Miles Davis:
"I'll play it first and tell you what it is later." 

And this is my favourite -

My family could only afford to get me the box of eight Crayola crayons, but I craved the one with all 24 colours. I wanted magenta and turquoise and silver and gold. Joni Mitchell

Me too.



6 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Love the quotes, especially Joni Mitchell's. :)

I write to genre, but, like you, really appreciate those artists that incorporate a lot of different influences to create something different in a genre.

Margot Kinberg said...

Oh, that's such a good question, Jan! And those quotes really do get you thinking about this whole thing. Hmm..some of the very short fiction I write has turned into things out of my usual (sub)genre, but not any of my novels (yet...)

Liza said...

I love David Byrne! I guess the best thing is to write what we find at our essence, and see what it turns out to be...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You write what strikes you and that's good!

Chrys Fey said...

I definitely believe writers have the right to write whatever they want, regardless of genre or form. :)

Beth Camp said...

I want the box of crayons with all the colors too!!!! Lovely post that gives me a little more history about how/why IWSG began (thanks to Alex!). Thank you for pointing out we can 'bend' genres . . . though I did read recently that we can write what we please, but what do our readers anticipate when they open a book that supposedly follows a specific genre and then don't quite get what they expected? For me, writing is the anchor that gets me through all else, and we certainly have much to face down. Be well. Keep writing!