Monday, April 27, 2020

W is for Word Choice in the A to Z of revising

WORD CHOICE seems like an odd thing to focus on, unless you are a writer and you are revising. What else do writers do but choose words?  When we are writing our first hot run through we may throw any word down - just to hold the place. We might call a sunset beautiful. It may be beautiful, but it is unlikely we'll leave it like that in revision. We choose our words carefully during revision. Every word should be hauling its weight and more. We should look at a word as if we were planning a dinner party - each guest must have something to add or no invite.  In a novel you might have around 80 thousand words so there is quite a bit of choosing to do. You might think, that unlike poetry, you can afford some bumf, but you'd be wrong. For instance, I just chose the word bumf (which can also be spelled bumph). It means extra paper - documents etc... so isn't exactly the correct word - but it is the right word. Why? Because readers will understand the meaning as I've intended it, and they will like the sound of it. It has a satisfying mouth feel and it isn't cliche.

If you are a writer you'd best like words. Shakespeare invented over 1700 of our common words by changing nouns into verbs, changing verbs into adjectives and putting different words together in new ways. You can invent words (I did it all the time as a child) and you don't have to be a genius to get away with it. Perhaps you do. Hard to say. But why not leap into it? The point is to make your words work. If they won't pick up the shovel, then give them the old heave-ho. Heave-hoify them - see what I did there?


Now I must get to my own revising. I'm a few days away from getting this draft done and then I'll have two weeks to shine it up. See you on the flip side!
 

2 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

Word choice can make all the difference in writing, Jan. I think one of the many reasons is that we don't have the visual to express nuances. So, for instance, we might hold a place by writing the word 'smiled.' But there are so many sorts of smiles, that mean so many different things (especially once you add culture into the mix). So, the writer has to choose a word (smirk, grin, half-smile, etc...) to express a more precise meaning. The linguist in me just adores this post!

Shannon Mackle said...

Just a couple of months ago, I gave this relationship doctor Robinson buckler a try. It was my last hope to get my ex husband back.

Weeks before my ex left me and our 2 children, there were a lot of argument and fighting between me and him. On the day he left me, he told me that he doesn't think he loved me any more and this was not working. I was so devastated hearing this, I begged him not to go and I even promised that I would change. But he made up his mind already. He packed his bags and left our house.

I tried calling him and texting him to tell him I miss him and still love him. I asked him to give us another chance. He slowly stopped replying to my messages and stopped picking up my calls.

I then searched the internet on how to get ex back, and even bought a few products such as text your ex back and ex recovery system. Nothing worked, and my ex was still very cold towards me.

When I was about to give up, I found Robinson buckler ex back program. He is a relationship coach with a lot of success stories. I knew what I needed was not a book but a coach to guide me how to make my ex fall in love with me again. I immediately signed up for his program.

In the first couple of days, I made a lot of good progress. I am happier and more confident. My ex saw the positive changes in me, and started to talk to me more and even asked me out for dates.

Fast forward two weeks later, my ex told me that he wants to give our relationship a second try. I was beyond happy when I heard that.

Now, we are closer and happier together. It would not have happened without Robinson buckler help.

I highly recommend


______R.buckler11 [[@Gmail com ]]


100% result guaranteed..