Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Maybe just a tad insecure



Yes, it is another meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group!  I'm ignoring the prompt today as I truly can't think of a piece of writers' advice that I wish I hadn't read and truly if I wished I hadn't read it why would I pass it on to you?

Instead, I am going to tell you, and remind myself, of the best piece of writer advice I ever heard. It was from my daddio and it was "sit down and write!" Yep - he made it simple - a little dab of bum glue and a fella or gal would be set. Forget about everything else, or better yet, like a holistic farmer, turn all of it beneath your plow. Feeling stuck? Write about that. Bored with your story - make that ennui a plot point.  Furious at all those rejection lettters? Writing well is the best revenge.

It is the start of a nice fresh unbesmirched year. I've begun a new drawing course which has me making at least one drawing a day. I'm back on my cushion meditating. Today I will spend an hour with my most recent ms.

How about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, Jan, your Daddio had good advice. Writing is a lot of things, but it all starts with... sit down and write.

Guilie Castillo said...

Can't agree more, Jan. As Margot said above, writing often comes with all sorts of caveats and mystic superstition and rainmaking rituals and snake-oil 'recipes' for success or abundance of words or inspiration, but it all really boils down to "Sit down and write". Which, simplistic as it may sound, is *not* simple to do at all. Kudos to you for acknowledging this as the best piece of advice you've received. We should all have that carved into the wall above our writing desks.

Happy 2017!
Guilie @ Quiet Laughter