Wednesday, April 23, 2014

T is for tripping

It's the A to Zed Challenge! I'll be posting the first half of the month from Ottawa where I'm staying with my youngest and his partner and their newest - a little guy who was born the end of March. Yay!

Theme? Writing and Life is what comes to me... how to balance the writing life with the other tugs you may have...

The ABCDEaria of the Writing Life -


T is for Tripping

Yep, tripping I say! Tripping up, falling down, failing, struggling. When I trip I know it is because I'm moving too fast, not paying attention. When I fall, or struggle with something that I know I can do it is because I need to pay attention. Quit having my head in the clouds. So when I trip it is like the earth reached out and gave me a little shove - a little reminder that I live on the planet and need to be awake.

The earth doesn't need to be gentle all the time, like some airy-fairy new-age goddess. Sometimes we need to feel the pain to pay attention.  The antidote to tripping is to slow down, to take time to do one thing well at a time. I am not a multi-tasker. I don't believe anyone is but some people can do a lot of things successively and make it seem like they are doing it at once. When I try to do that I do nothing well. 

Now I'm going to go sink into a deep deep bath of very hot water because I spent a few hours banging around in the back of a komatik and need to recover! When I lie in the tub I will ALSO read, I can do both of those things at once.


here is a photo of beautiful Mokami Mountain...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan - I sometimes think that one of the most important lessons we need to learn in life is how to handle and stand back up when life knocks us down or when we ourselves do that.

Jocelyn Rish said...

I am super clumsy - have been my entire life - so I spend much of my time tripping and banging shins and toes. But I completely agree with slowing down and concentrating and appreciating what you are currently doing.

Hope you’re having fun with the A to Z challenge,
Jocelyn