Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Twas brillig

 


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Yes it is that day again! The IWSG meets! Click the link to sign up...

My topic for the day is waiting. Some days I feel like a writer and some days I feel like a waiter. I'm so skitty right now that I'm not even going to share what I'm waiting for - though long term readers of this blog will have some idea. Let's just say I'm waiting for news. While I wait I'm keeping busy. I'm working on a submission of poems for a chapbook contest, which has been quite interesting. I took part in what is called Poetry Lab through Frontier Poetry and received all sorts of helpful information on getting poetry published, as well as a juicy letter from a poetry editor who gave me a critique on nine of my poems. I've written poetry since I was a string bean and I love it in a very different way than I love writing fiction. I have utter confidence in my poetry. I believe in it. And, although to get positive feedback, especially in the form of publishing, is wonderful, my confidence in my poems never wavers. It doesn't mean that I think they are perfect or don't need revising, but I just don't ever feel like it is hopeless or that I'm lost in it (or if I am, it is in a good way). So...it is a great antidote to the waiting game.

My real life, as opposed to my crazy writing life, is very challenging right now. We are still (the week before this is posted) under a strict lockdown. I miss seeing my newest grandbaby who I've only met once. I miss hanging with my best pals. I miss restaurants and live music but I can live with that. My flexible time goes to a sick friend. There are only three of us taking care of her and so I'm stretched in a new and intense fashion. I work my waiting, writing, gardening, and socializing (virtual not actual) around the time I spend with her. I'm not complaining - it is choiceless and an honour to spend her last precious days with her. It puts everything into its proper perspective.

And it gives me the added reminder that for all of us time is finite. If I'm waiting, I need to remember that I think it is worth it - what I'm doing creatively or socially or even in terms of distractions.

One precious life...

9 comments:

Liza said...

Oh yes. Perspective. You have it so right. I am so glad, for your friend AND you, that you can be with her at this time. The answer on the writing will come when it comes, but this time with your friend will remain in your heart forever.

And, I do hope you can see that grand baby soon.

Bish Denham said...

Reading other people's posts, I'm beginning to see that many of us are experiencing the same or similar thing in regards to writing or rather the lack thereof.

May your waiting come to end soon!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is really nice you are helping take care of her. Sorry you are locked down.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I think that it is the best thing to do while waiting, keeping busy. It doesn't help to worry. It doesn't speed up the process.

Wishing you the very best and have a lovely month of June.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

JEN Garrett said...

I'm in the waiting, too. That's why I'm commenting on blogs today!

Natalie Aguirre said...

It's hard being in lockdown. And waiting. That's great that you are helping your sick friend. It sounds like you don't have that much time to spend with her, and I'm sure she really appreciates your help.

Margot Kinberg said...

Sorry it took me so long to visit this time, Jan. And about waiting... a lot of writing is all about waiting and being patient. I think that's one important lesson I've learned in the process...

Chrys Fey said...

I'm wishing you all the best of luck with your submission of poems for the chapbook contest. I feel like I'm in a waiting game, too...have been...for a long time. Take care!

Edi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.