Wednesday, May 5, 2021

the insecure writer's support group and me

 


Dear insecure pals;

Yes, it is another meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group - tap the name and signup or find others writing about writing.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

The awesome co-hosts for the May 5 posting of the IWSG are Erika Beebe, PJ Colando, Tonja Drecker, Sadira Stone, and Cathrina Constantine!

I've got lots of things I want to say this month so I'm not answering the monthly question. I have had a complete rollercoaster of a ride for the last couple of months. I think it had begun last month in my writing world when I was asked for two full manuscripts - one for a slightly older YA called Bright Angel and one for my most current novel Crooked Knife. The first call for a full was the absolute direct result of teaming up with fellow blogger Liza from Middle Passages. We had both been feeling the blahs about the submitting process with our queries and decided to hold each other accountable to keep sending out those arrows of intention. I had Crooked Knife out to a few places and didn't want to send another query out until I'd heard from one or two of them. So I sent out Bright Angel to a new publisher in Nova Scotia. About a week later they asked for a full and then so did one of the Newfoundland publishers. The Newfoundland publisher promised a response within a month and I didn't know about the NS one. Well, a little over two weeks ago I heard from the wife of the Nova Scotia publisher with terribly sad news. He had died suddenly and it being a very small company they had to tell anyone awaiting news that there probably wasn't going to be anything happening in the foreseeable future. Naturally this was shocking news - the publisher, who I'd researched before sending, was just my cup of tea - a really interesting guy who had moved to Nova Scotia with his wife after decades of a full professional life doing something that was not publishing. I love these third acts - after all that's where I am at - so...

Two days later I heard from the Newfoundland publisher. They are seriously considering publishing my novel AND I have a revision to do - the plot needs work. They said nothing that was too outrageous and I agreed to work on it for a month - half of which is nearly up. It is all plot problems so I have undone my ending and am rewriting it. It is HARD. But I'm doing it and I am, of course, thrilled with the good possibility of getting a novel published. 

Of course regular life continues apace as well. I have a good pal who received a very dire prognosis about a month ago. She is in palliative care and there is myself and two other women who are supporting her through this time. To further complicate matters of course there is covid. It makes all the procedures take longer to happen - all the appointments difficult. Luckily she can still have two visitors a day on the unit even though the province is now in its most severe lockdown of the pandemic - we did so well and then the third wave hit with a vengeance. 

And I have a new grandson - a little pandemic baby born two weeks ago today. I've seen him once and hoped to be spending lots of time there (in between revising bouts) but now I'm going to wait until this phase of the lockdown is over. 

My sincere hope is that for next month's meeting of the IWSG I will be able to report that I have a book deal. I have been part of this gang for a very long time and I have been working towards being published as a novelist for even longer. I know that it won't solve world peace (whirled peas?) and that I'll be the same person I am now - but still I want it!!

I hope all are well and that those of you who continue to work towards your goals keep on keepin' on! Now I must get back to that pesky plot...


7 comments:

Liza said...

You have been on a whirl-wind! Even though I know most of this, in reading it all again even I feel the breeze. Hang in there. Your revisions will do well, I am sure. Can't wait to hold your book in my hands. And now, I've got to send another query out!

Margot Kinberg said...

Oh, congratulations on the birth of your grandson, Jan!! How exciting!! And it's so wonderful that the publisher is so interested in your book. Yes, indeed a roller coaster ride, but a good one, and I cannot wait to see that book come out!

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
Hurrah!!! I am pulling for you. Yes, you have a lot going but my opinion is that whenever something good is about to happen, the bottom falls out. But don't worry, there is a floor beneath and you will land standing on your feet.
Take care and all the best.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's really sad the publisher died.
Hope you have great news for us next month! Smart to team up with Liza.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Isn't that just like life, the ups and downs. Thankfully, there are good things mixed in there with the bad. So, congratulations on your new grand baby!!! A new generation is something to be happy about.

Keep up the hard work. Good news will come.

Teresa

Helen said...

Wow, definitely ups and downs in your life. Glad you have the ups and that your writing is in that category. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.