Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Why yes, it is another meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group!


Grab a coffee, a cup of tea or a gin & tonic depending on the time of day or your inclination, and sit down to read this post and others like it here, as we discuss the joys and challenges of our writing lives.

The optional question this month asks what our ultimate writing goals are and how have they changed over time? Hmmm...ultimate? The Cambridge dictionary says

most important, highest, last, or final: Your ultimate goal is to play the game as well as you can. Ultimate also means the best, most, or greatest of its kind: Some people believe that he is the ultimate painter of this century.

My ultimate writing goal is to keep writing and to enjoy the process. I would certainly appreciate outside affirmation in the form of publication, but truly, that is not my highest goal. I'm fairly certain that my monkey mind would just begin to long for the next and bigger coconut.

As we get ready to leave Labrador I've been focusing on smaller writing projects . I've polished a story that is part of my work in progress - a memoir. This story stands alone and I have a market in mind for it. I've also been writing a new series of poems in connection with a current painful issue within my church. It has been healing to work with my emotions and thinking by doing this.

Sometimes, I think that the goal of publication casts a shadow on the true reason that I write. It obscures the deep satisfaction I feel when I find the right word or phrase, or make a tale or poem that captures what I'm experiencing .  I get caught in longing for that big contract that will show those so and sos that I haven't been wasting my time. Oh, don't worry, I'll ring the bells loudly shall I get that contract - but I don't want to forget what I'm in the game for - to play the best I can.

How about you? Goals?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that point you make, Jan, about the impact of wanting to be published on your love of writing. I think about that, too - a lot. We crave publication, so I wonder if that interrupts our contentment in writing? Hmm..... Lots for me to think about.

Tamara Narayan said...

You make a great point. I can get so twisted up worrying about publishing and marketing that I wonder why I put myself through all this. Writing is supposed to be a joy, not a burden.

Liza said...

There are inward and outward rewards to writing...the joy from crafting the best word/sentence/paragraph/poem/story we can, and recognition from readers when we do. I believe we can't have the second without the first...but we can have the first without the second. As long as there is joy in the process, we are successful.

Online Front said...

Usually, I never comment on post but your article is convincing. You're doing a great job, keep it up.

Online Front is a digital design and digital marketing agency that offers wide range of digital marketing and website design services.

VISIT AND GET OUR SERVICES:-
Digital Marketing Company in Delhi

Website Design and Development Comapany in Delhi

Social Media Management Company in delhi