Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Yowza - it's another meeting of the IWSG


What is this you may well ask. It is a piece I created in an art class I was taking. The upper symbol is an awen - a druidic symbol of inspiration. Below is a deer. Over top is a piece of flocked paper with a spiral pattern. I created it to remind myself to honour my own lineage of strength, grace, and truth.

I'm in a fragile creative holding place right now. Like the phase in labour called transition, it is important that I not push.  We are in our last months of being in Labrador. I will leave with several creative projects still in the womb as it were. They will have to see the light of day in Nova Scotia, but they will be Labradorian for all that. One is a mystery called Crooked Knife. One is a memoir about our time here called Ruby's House and one is a poetry collection which may be called Ballycatter.

When we are home I hope to be able to complete them BUT I'm scared. Why? Because  this place is so conducive to the solitary writing practice and home is wildly distracting.

So why have I not been writing these last few months here? Because I've been teaching grade two at the school on the reserve AND I absolutely need to in order to receive my own education on this place. I will be using it all in my memoir! Here I am with a few of my teachers.


As to this month's question which asks if it is harder for me to come up with story names or character names - it is the easiest writing job of all to name anything. I love naming my novels or poetry collections, I love naming my characters and I love inventing names for anything in my writing - coffee shops, laundromats, daycares - love it!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that 'photo of you and the children! I know you will miss that special place. And I think you're wise to stay in your 'holding pattern' until you're ready.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you have to leave a place of peace. Hope you find peace at home as well and can continue writing.

Rhonda Gilmour said...

I wish you the best of luck with your transition to your new home. Thanks for sharing that lovely photo.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Great photo! I love second graders.

Teresa

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jan - great to see you with your 'teachers' ... I'm sure you learn lots from them ... life is life isn't it - we get peace and we have distractions ... all the best though - cheers Hilary

Jan Morrison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan Morrison said...

Thanks all - just to be very clear I'm hankering to get home to Nova Scotia. We only meant to be two years here and while there's much I love about it I have kids,grandkids and old old friends in Nova Scotia. I mean to take what I've learned working with indigenous families to create something at home. I'll just need to be a little hermit-like for the sake of my disciplines!

Unknown said...

Wow, it sounds like you've had such a special experience! I hope the magic follows you home and that your writing continues to flow, even after you return to the busyness of home.

Tonja Drecker said...

It looks like you had a wonderful experience. I hope the peace and joy finds you again at home even if in a different form.

NIKE said...

satta king
play bazaar including common misspellings. This is important because it is very common for people to purchase similar URLs to popular companies either to trick visitors from accessing their site or to expect a profit by selling it to the other company.