Monday, April 16, 2012

Nebular hypothesis

my A to Z - every day of the challenge I will find a word by flinging my finger into my American Heritage Dictionary and then riff on it. The posts may be essays or poems or stories or memories. Who knows what will happen when we give Serendipity her wanton way?

nebular hypothesis - n. A theory of the origin of the solar system acording to which a rotating nebula cooled and contracted, throwing off rings of matter that contracted into the planets and their moons, while the great mass of the condensing nebula became the sun.

yep, that old nebular hypothesis. I should have known it would show up eventually. Shrugging its weighty shoulders, sighing into its diffuse mass of interstellar dust. Damn it! Ah well, nothing like a spot of astronomy to bring out the poet in me. Here goes...

She Goes Around

What's the matter?

It is ever thus -
expanding outward - big mind, space, the final frontierrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
contracting inward - god is in the details, fractals, small is beautiful

One day
you say I'm everything to you
The sun and moon and the stars above.
Lordy lordy you love me so
a feeling so intense you can't quite grasp it but
then

The next
you are packing your intergalactic space suit
your moon boots
your specially designed bottle of Tang - koolaid of astronauts!

All this whirling around
I have to say I'm cooling towards you
Cooling and condensing
it hasn't been the same
since that night and
the moon.
You remember...

My heart is like a black hole
your intensity
your radiance your your your your
          centre of the universe thing
that one minute lights up the clouds and the next...
clouds up my light.

I've cooled and you'll just have someone else to absorb
 your brilliance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan - Oh, how creative! I love the metaphors! And the 'photo is stunning. How skilled you are at making serendipity really work....

Bish Denham said...

Great poem!

Erin M. Hartshorn said...

Gorgeous poem! I love the way you played with the theme.

Erin