Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dear Journal - what am I missing?

My NaBlo posts are in the form of letters to my journal about my revision process. Along the way, I'll include Home-Made Revision Workshop posts, and my Friday Challenges..


Dear Journal,
I didn't want to talk to you today. Oh, I'm not mad at you or anything like that. It's just that it is the long weekend - Thanksgiving - here in Canada. I want to putter in the kitchen - make another upside down plum cake, and something with leeks. I went to the market with step-dot and it was full of people who, like me, are having a deeply domestic moment. My dear guy is in the kitchen making his world famous (OK Halifax famous) apple pie. We're invited to a big dinner tonight and everyone will be expecting it. I'll make a leek dish which will enjoy less fame but that's OK. On Monday night, we'll have our own Thanksgiving dinner. No turkey - we have a roast of beef and a lamb shoulder. We've got lots of veggies and Ron will make apple and pumpkin pie. I'll make Parmesan stars and goat cheese with walnuts. Step-dot's mother and brother are coming and they'll bring goodies too. 
The weather is PERFECT! The air warmish but with just enough bite to remind you it is fall, the leaves starting to colour, and the glorious weedy flowers of autumn everywhere. I'm going to take Hoagy for a stroll in the woods very shortly.
Life seems rich and good - we are still living with the bad news of last week but we never lost sight of what was important so we aren't so gutted as we were.
But I need to write. Have to. So dear journal, I am missing my hungry self this minute - I'm too fat and happy. I will do what I need to - I'll get through two chapters this afternoon. And it is more of a struggle to do so when I am content than when I am in the pits of hell. Weird, huh?
The original Thanksgiving, so I read today, was not in Puritan America but much earlier. And the first thanksgiving in both Canada and United States was in thanks for a safe crossing. I'll be celebrating that safe crossing too - the crossing of the turbulent force of a reversal of fortune, wherein the true treasure was revealed to be, like in Dorothy's quest, before me all the while.
Pardon me while I click my heels and find myself at home, with folks I love, and lots to eat.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I loved your post and the picture - it made me want to stroll withe the lone walker. Enjoy the feast day with your friends and good luck with the chapters.