Friday, October 21, 2011

Dear Journal - a Friday Challenge

My NaBlo posts are in the form of letters to my journal about my revision process. Along the way, I'll include Home-Made Revision Workshop posts, and my Friday Challenges.


Dear Journal,
A straight-forward challenge for today. Find a project that you keep telling yourself, and probably others, that you want to finish. Figure out what is REALLY holding you back. Make a decision - that you will complete it - or you'll drop it with relief. If you decide you are going to finish it - draw up a plan to do so. You are allowed to change it as you go, but start with a plan of attack.  Here's mine:


I want to write a book about how women coped in the depression with putting food on the table, raising families, doing laundry, maintaining gardens, or just plain surviving. I have done some research on my paternal grandmother and I have enlisted five other people to research their grandmothers but it is going slow. I'm going to put the word out one more time and then decide if I need their help or can do it another way.


OKEY DOKEY - see you later... this is a picture of my great-great grandparents - the baby - that's my grandpa and it is his wife who I want to write about!  Oh, and that house is a soddy I think. Manitoba!

6 comments:

Isis Rushdan said...

Great challenge and great pic! Wish I had one of my great-great grandparents.

Anonymous said...

Jan - What an empowering challenge! I love it! Now to figure out which project will get the proverbial searchlight ;-)... I love that picture of your great-grandparents, too.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Great picture! And I love this kind of thing--figuring out what's holding me back from doing something. Nice challenge!

H. L. Banks said...

Great post! Hit me in my project gut. The one I keep putting off. Thanks. (PS: loved the great-great-grandparents - espcially the hint of a smile on the woman's face).

Patricia Stoltey said...

Wonderful challenge, Jan. I have a couple of projects like that. Maybe it's time to think it through.

The photo is wonderful. I have a stack of old South Dakota and Norway photos from the late 1800s or early 1900s and none of them have names or any kind of entry on them. So sad.

Sue said...

Wow, wonderful to have the photo.

I don't think I can help, but a friend has researched something similar here. Shall I ask her? I think she was writing about hardships faced by farmers during the 1940's, particularly in East Gippsland, Victoria.