Thursday, October 8, 2009

Which is worse do you think? The indecision before one opens a letter of the self-addressed sort from a publisher or the indecision before one clicks on an email from a prospective agent? Argghh! Well, I haven't had the former in awhile but I got the latter a few minutes ago. Yes, dear peoples, I've been rejected but I'm not dejected. It was a nice rejection from an agent who read quite a bit of my first novel, Feckless, before rejecting it. She said this one wasn't for her and that their company rarely handles mysteries. At least it was quick - only a month out before a reply. But still... in my secret heart I want to get a letter or email that says "Yes - man oh man do we want this - you'll need to work at it with a good editor but we love it! And we hope you have a nice fat series in mind because we here at Zephyr Falutin Press are keen to read every word you write. And we hear you're good looking too! We are just keen to throw money and praise at you." Is that too much to ask for? (by the way that is a rhetorical question - no need to bombard me with reasonableness just yet). Now Stacy Post over at her site A Writer's Point of View (look right) cooks up something sinful for every rejection and writes the recipe in her blog. That is such a stunning idea but at this juncture fatal for me as no one wants a recipe for what I have to eat these days. I'll think of something to do by tomorrow. Yep, you know I will.

3 comments:

Liz in PA said...

JAN ...... Patience is a virtue!

I kow how much you wanted acceptance for your mystery novel.

I see good Karma in the very near future, do not dismay!

XXXXX XXXXX <-----that's 10 fingers crossed!

Stacy Post said...

Hey, thanks for the mention. :) Yes, I bake away all my rejection woes, but I love your attitude of putting your work back out there immediately. I must get better at that!

We're all on the journey...may as well have fun doing it, right?

Hart Johnson said...

I love the offer you're hoping for!!! I got a rejection this week too...

I guess it is all process, but I sure wish the process included a lot more good news...