Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Unwriting


Reporting here at 9:39 pm. I wrote for a goodly part of the day. Or to be exact, I unwrote. The Rockwalker is about two thousand words less than it was. So it remains after many hours work nearly half-done! But oh my - does it feel good. I really want a goodly stretch to finish it. I could write about five thousand words a day on a retreat and that means I would need a retreat of ....hmmm...math brain turn on here.....ten days to write and three or four to edit back down a bit to give me a decent draft that I could then get polished and out! Yes! I can feel it! Or, because- who am I kidding about a writing retreat - I can't even afford a writing lunch for gawd's sake - if I do a regular thousand a day which is not remotely hard I need fifty days - so editing and all by mid May I could have a decent draft to send out. OK. We're on! Then I'll need a smallish group of readers who might go through it especially for tenses and structural problems. But I'm liking it - I really am. I feel quite Phylis Diller like - laughing at her own jokes - but if I don't like it what the hell am I spending all this time on it for? OK - going to have a bath and contemplate the idea that if one keeps chopping wood - you get more wood, you get better at chopping but then the metaphor breaks down because the wood doesn't get funnier or more elegant or tighter BUT my writing will!

No comments: