Wednesday, October 2, 2024

October Light, a writer expressing doubts (IWSG), and ghosts

There is something about the long low light in the autumn that completely seduces me. It makes me feel like cozying up under my plaid with the wood stove going and a good book to read. The crisper mornings lead me to grand ideas of what I might accomplish in a day. These two ideas may seem at odds but truly if I can keep them in balance life is perfection.

It is the first today and I have a 'good luck with that' to do list full of hopes and dreams. There are the garden and produce things - more tomato sauce to make and freeze and I went apple picking yesterday so we probably have about seven bushels to process somehow. The fella is in the kitchen now juicing up a bunch with our new juicer. I need to clean up a few garden beds and the fridge and two freezers need sorting as well.

October first means the first day of one of my favourite challenges - Inktober. Every day I will make a sketch, drawing, wee painting or something in that line. This will be my fifth or sixth year of doing it and so far I've been faithful. I have a big idea this year which may be my undoing - I want to do versions of retro travel posters as the prompts seem to be wandering themed. I like to have one month where I know I'll be making art every day although lately I've been painting quite a bit.

And of course, as you read this, it is another meeting of the 

Insecure Writer's Support Group! 

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

I haven't a whole lot positive to say about my writing practice but I'll jump in anyway. I write a piece for my Substack newsletter called Dispatches every week and I'm up to 32 I think. It is a good practice and I like the short essay format. I'm working away on my play Oh Well and truly trying not to think too much about my three finished novel manuscripts as I'm a bit depressed about them. I can share that with you because you are mostly all writers and you know what I mean. The submission process is such a frustrating one of hurry up and wait and I'm not sure I've got the cojones to keep on with it. I'm sure I'll rally someday, but right now I'm satisfied with my essays and play. I want to write not wait. I'm a writer not a waiter. 

As to my favourite ghostly tale ... hmm... well the one that springs to mind isn't scary. It's kind of nice. My fella and I lived in Labrador for five years in his mother's house. She died the year after we moved there and every so often I'd be in bed before the fella when I'd feel someone get into bed beside me. I knew right away it was Ruby. Our bed was right where hers had been and besides I just knew. I'd just say softly to her, "It's okay Ruby. You can rest now." and that'd be that. 

Here's my first Inktober post - the prompt was 'backpack'.




1 comment:

Liza said...

I love that story about Ruby. Good luck with Inktober. Its nice to feel inspired regardless of the format.