Wednesday, November 1, 2023

another insecure writer speaks up

 It is Wednesday and the first of November, do you know where your insecure writers are?

Yes, it is another meeting of the IWSG - sign up here!


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting!

Hi everyone! Boy these months sneak up on ya, wha! Here in Nova Scotia it has been softly snowing all day. My regular writing pal, Gwen, doesn't have her snow tires on yet, so we did our tomatoes alone and just checked in after every couple. What? You don't know what a 'tomato' is? Well, it's called the Pomodoro system and it is just a way to track your time. Like a kitchen timer (often a tomato) and we use it to write for 25 minutes, break for 5 and go back at it. Somehow it is incredibly motivating and Gwen and I have been using them for just about as long as I've been part of the IWSG. Here's a program I've linked here - Pomodoro

The question this month was about NaNoWriMo and I'm ignoring it as I've answered it several times already. I'll just say that my one published novel originated in a NaNoWriMo and I'm grateful. Won't be using it this month though as I'm in heavy duty revision of Butter and Snow - my second Nell Munro mystery. It will be ready for my beta readers in two weeks and then back for another swipe before anyone else looks at it.

In October I took part in Inktober for the fourth time. For that challenge you simply have to draw, ink or paint something daily. I like it and I really like the notion of simply showing up for your self in this way. This time I focused on landscapes and used all sorts of mediums and techniques to render the beauty I saw on the trips we took this summer and fall. It was fun and juicy and I love doing it.

I'm on a self-imposed challenge right now to get this revision done - 21 days of two hours a day. Doesn't seem like much but it sure makes a difference when you show up day after day. Like the snow fall today - the words accumulate.

Okay - see you next month!
Keep on keepin on.

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Draw, ink, or paint - that sounds relaxing.
Snow. We are cold, but doubt we'll see more than one snowfall this winter.

PJ Colando said...

I adore the notion of Inktober and thanks for sharing the tomato method of Pomodoro - I'd heard of neither, Jan.

I live in Southern California, so I'll not comment on the weather here... A wet winter is predicted here, with lots of rain like last winter. So good for parched soil and plants caused by too many years of drought. Can you imagine no rain at all?!

Thanks for your read-and-comment on my post, Jan

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Two hours a day can make quite the dent in a project.

Anonymous said...

How lucky you can write AND draw! If I had any artistic talent I would draw landscapes too. There is so much beauty out there. Sounds like you are doing good writing work. Hooray for you, Jan!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is Liza. Not sure why it won’t let me sign in…

Natalie Aguirre said...

Good luck with your revisions. And that's awesome that NaNo resulted in a published story. Have a great writing month. I hope you don't get too much snow.

Juan Maria said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Star Wins said...

I'm thankful for the diverse perspectives you bring to your thought-provoking topics.