Wednesday, April 8, 2020

G is for gratitude in the A to Z of revising

rateful

At this point in my revision I definitely need to employ my sense of gratefulness.  For whom or what am I most grateful? Well, to my partner who knows if I drift off in the middle of a conversation, it is because the fairies have stolen me. No, it's because I'm considering my manuscript and wondering if I just...  And I'm grateful to my pals who must be sick of hearing about my writing but still ask how it's going. I'm grateful to my writing pal of over twenty years, Gwen, who will listen to me go on and on - as I will her. And I'm grateful to my online pals, who know what this is like and support me with good cheer again and again. Big shout out to Margot who is simply the best!!!

I'm also grateful to all the writers who have written so many words about the process I'm undergoing - who have written about beat cheats and dialogue and character development and how to do micro-edits and how to do macro-edits and where to turn to for help if I get into a swamp and the crocodiles are coming. I'm grateful for their generosity at sharing their craft and their word of encouragement and truth. I have a deep appreciation for Anne Lamott, Mary Karr, Susan Bell, Elizabeth George, James Scott Bell, Stephen King, Renni Browne, Dave King, Stephen Koch, Joseph Sestito, Ursula K. Le Guin, Strunk and White, Natalie Goldberg, John Gardner, and Victoria Nelson.

I'm grateful to my Buddhist teachers, who, even in this time of terrible turmoil, remind me to stay kind, and to ignore the demands of my poor little ego - who wants to rush ahead for glory instead of staying the course because I have a story to tell. 

And I'm grateful to be in a good home, with a loving partner, my mind and body still functioning, and able to plug along.



3 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I love this post, Jan. There's clinical research that suggests that if we focus on gratitude like that, we can actually change our mental patterns to more positive ways of thinking. That, in turn, benefits our overall health. I think it really is important, especially in these times, to keep in mind what makes us grateful. And you are one of the people I'm grateful to have in my life.

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

Those are great reasons to be grateful. We should all stop more often and think about everything like that. Hope you're having a great AtoZ
Tasha 💖
Virginia's Parlour - The Manor (Adult concepts - nothing explicit in posts)
Tasha's Thinkings - Vampire Drabbles

Shannon Mackle said...

Just a couple of months ago, I gave this relationship doctor Robinson buckler a try. It was my last hope to get my ex husband back.

Weeks before my ex left me and our 2 children, there were a lot of argument and fighting between me and him. On the day he left me, he told me that he doesn't think he loved me any more and this was not working. I was so devastated hearing this, I begged him not to go and I even promised that I would change. But he made up his mind already. He packed his bags and left our house.

I tried calling him and texting him to tell him I miss him and still love him. I asked him to give us another chance. He slowly stopped replying to my messages and stopped picking up my calls.

I then searched the internet on how to get ex back, and even bought a few products such as text your ex back and ex recovery system. Nothing worked, and my ex was still very cold towards me.

When I was about to give up, I found Robinson buckler ex back program. He is a relationship coach with a lot of success stories. I knew what I needed was not a book but a coach to guide me how to make my ex fall in love with me again. I immediately signed up for his program.

In the first couple of days, I made a lot of good progress. I am happier and more confident. My ex saw the positive changes in me, and started to talk to me more and even asked me out for dates.

Fast forward two weeks later, my ex told me that he wants to give our relationship a second try. I was beyond happy when I heard that.

Now, we are closer and happier together. It would not have happened without Robinson buckler help.

I highly recommend


________R.buckler11 [[@Gmail com ]]


100% result guaranteed..