Saturday, April 4, 2020

Detail in the A to Z of Revising

Detail is something you need to pay attention to when revising. When I'm doing a first draft I move along, making the broad strokes, trying to find the large shapes, the rough form. Now, revising, I work at a snail's pace, taking all the time I need to find just the right word, checking my facts, layering in themes and motif. A near approximation isn't going to cut it. It might be close enough for jazz, but it isn't nearly close enough for a revision. When finding the story, I say to my inner critic "later". When revising, later is now.



Diary of a woman on the verge of a zombie apocalypse: doing this A to Z challenge seems idiotic right now. I might not do anymore. Everything seems so surreal and, at the same time, ordinary - or familiar. The beating you were expecting has finally happened - no need to worry about it.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

Detail is a really tricky thing, isn't it, Jan? How much to add, how much to leave to the reader's imagination, the whole thing. I like your idea of leaving that question for revisions. To me, the first draft is where you just get the story out. Once it's out, you can fix it.