Wednesday, September 4, 2019

writing in place




Oh September, how I adore you!  The light, the ever so slight crispiness in the air, fresh notebook head, and so on.

Today is another meeting of the IWSG - and here from their sign-up page they say it best:

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!


The optional question this month is - If you could pick one place in the world to sit and write your next story, where would it be and why?

I oft fantasize of the best place to write - that magic place where I will sit down on a cloud of ease and the words  will flow out of my fingers - or better yet, I will merely need to think about the story and there it will be - with no carpal tunnel, no fricked up shoulder (don't get me started - going into the third month of rotator cuff shite), no blockages of either a spiritual or intestinal variety - just easy peasy sailing through the plot - imagine!

But when I get real with myself and think about those places that have worked I know - it wasn't the place. Sometimes it has become even a search in the home I'm currently living in. Should I write in the designated office space or on the dining room table (that's where I am right now). Maybe my shrine room? It's full of good vibes.

I've been writing for a long time, over fifty years, and I've lived or visited so many places in that time. I've gone on some glorious solitary writing retreats. The photo of the typewriter above I took in the childhood home of poet Elizabeth Bishop in Great Village, NS. I got lots of a story written there but no magic. Just bum glue. 

I've gone to friend's cabins in the woods or by the shore. I wrote most of the manuscript I'm currently working on in our little house on the beach in Labrador. I've written plays with fellow writers in scuzzy rooms with too many dirty cups sitting about. 

I wrote well at a group writers' retreat in Newfoundland. 

So my answer to the question today is :

The one place in the world I'd like to sit and write in is where I am. I'd like to write right here in Prospect Bay, Nova Scotia, in the house I share with my fella and the pooch. I'd like to push back the vase full of sunflowers and start in. I'd like to get up and wander into the kitchen and do the dishes when I get stuck. I'd like to share the table (which I will be doing as you read this) with my writing pal, Gwen - as I do every Wednesday. I'd like to remember that showing up for the muse is more likely to bring her along than any other temptation one might offer. Sure I liked working on one manuscript in Cuba - how Hemingway - but did I get lots done? No. I did not. I kept my oar in and that is important, but no place has been any better than another. It is down to me. 

Here's a wee cabin owned by a friend in Labrador. You have to take either a boat or skidoo to get there (depending on the time of year). I did NO WRITING in this place but it would be great. No electricity though. Have to use the quill pen.

How about you? Where would you write? Where DO you write?

PS - I have contracted an editor to work with me on my current story Crooked Knife.  I have a few months to get a proper draft completed. Now that's a great fire under my butt.

15 comments:

Liza said...

As I am reading IWSG posts this question this morning, I am finding most of us speak of a dream writing place, but the reality is we are content writing just where we are. You are so right. We just have to show up!

Margot Kinberg said...

I love that 'photo, Jan! And, you know, I find something similar. I write best right here at home...

Cathrina Constantine said...

Hi, OMG I love that cabin in Labrador!!! A fabulous place to write!! I also love September and fall, all the sights, colors, and smells!

Chrys Fey said...

What a lovely answer, Jan.

And your friend's cabin is adorable!

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
Jan, I like this. I like the fact that you realize that finding the comfort zone in writing depends on you finding you. It is up to you. I feel that way too. So when i get writer's block, I don't fight it but get up and wash the dishes, turn on some music, I like to listen to, watch a film, I've always plan to see or even seeing a movie for the second or third time. I've learned to accept the fact that my emotional world needs a rest. And when i go back down to my office in my basement, I open the door and I enter in to my world again.

I learn a lot by reading your monthly blog posts on the IWSG. Thank you.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Rosemary Johnson said...

A very honest post. The truth is that you can write anywhere quiet. If it's too interesting, or too beautiful, you get distracted.

Janet said...

"No place has been any better than another. It is down to me." Yep, exactly this. I fantasize about a writing retreat or even a few uninterrupted hours somewhere where there's no laundry or dishes, but the truth is that my productivity is, as you say, down to me.

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Hi, Jan! This is my first time here. I'll follow your blog and connect with you online. Please do the same for me, if you haven't already. http://victoriamarielees.blogspot.com

Actually the cabin looks inviting. The only problem I'd have would be when I run out of battery power on my laptop. Then I'd need to use that quill you speak of. All best to you!

Alexa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Clipping Path Service said...


Nice post.Keep sharing. Thanks for sharing.

NIKE said...

satta king
play bazaar Keep up with trends and make sure to flow with them, because what works today may not work tomorrow. The only way to consistently be successful is to adapt to the realities of the market.

WilliamsDamion said...

Therefore, hiring thesis ghostwriters is the best way to make sure that the final MA document is written with precision and insight. Some of the reasons to hire thesis writing service ghostwriters are as follows.

Volentino Thomas said...

Your doctoral adviser will give you a file for you to prepare your defence in and you will have to read through the file and look at the style of paper, the references page, list of arguments, answers to the question posed and anything else that needs to be done. If you are curious to know more about gradcoach, check out this site.

Valentino thomas said...

Such methods section can contain detailed discussions regarding specific methodology, sample observations, statistical methodologies, research design, and data analysis. Do you want to know more about dissertation results section? for detailed info click here.

Shannon Mackle said...

Just a couple of months ago, I gave this relationship doctor Robinson buckler a try. It was my last hope to get my ex husband back.

Weeks before my ex left me and our 2 children, there were a lot of argument and fighting between me and him. On the day he left me, he told me that he doesn't think he loved me any more and this was not working. I was so devastated hearing this, I begged him not to go and I even promised that I would change. But he made up his mind already. He packed his bags and left our house.

I tried calling him and texting him to tell him I miss him and still love him. I asked him to give us another chance. He slowly stopped replying to my messages and stopped picking up my calls.

I then searched the internet on how to get ex back, and even bought a few products such as text your ex back and ex recovery system. Nothing worked, and my ex was still very cold towards me.

When I was about to give up, I found Robinson buckler ex back program. He is a relationship coach with a lot of success stories. I knew what I needed was not a book but a coach to guide me how to make my ex fall in love with me again. I immediately signed up for his program.

In the first couple of days, I made a lot of good progress. I am happier and more confident. My ex saw the positive changes in me, and started to talk to me more and even asked me out for dates.

Fast forward two weeks later, my ex told me that he wants to give our relationship a second try. I was beyond happy when I heard that.

Now, we are closer and happier together. It would not have happened without Robinson buckler help.

I highly recommend


___________________________R.buckler11 [[@ Gmail. com ]]


100% result guaranteed..