Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Afloat on my little bed boat

This is, uh day eleven of my recovery from a total hip replacement.  I'm now a cyborg like Seven of Nine or was it Nine of Seven - no - the first. Only I'm not unbelievably beautiful and smart. I do have a hip artisanially created from ceramic, stainless steel and titanium.  And I got rid of the crocodile that has been crunching my bones for the last few years. That was, after all, the point of seeing three orthopedic surgeons, taking four flight to Corner Brook and St. Anthony  (on the island), and then having major surgery.

Now I'm ensconced in bed, surrounded by phones and android, tissues, novels, sketchbooks (3 of them!), a reacher for picking up the fallen, and other flotsam and jetsum. As of Sunday I could get in and out of bed without Ron needing to move my foot. First I would lasso it then drag it to the bed edge. Now it moves , though stupidly, with my desire.

Me: Foot! Move, l need to pee!

Foot: La la la! I can't hear you.

Me: Now come on foot! It isn't my fault - they had to cut up the thigh to fix my hip.

Foot: Right. Well next time maybe you'll have the decency to inform me of your plans.

Me : Sorry. Could you just move yourself a tad? No?

And so on. It is still grumbling like a righteous 14 year old but moving all the same.

Today I have a couple of goals.
1. Get changed.
2. Write blog post. (done!)
3. Draw at least two hatching drawings.
4. Contact EI to get benefits rolling.
5. Stroll about some on my walker.
6. Write something...?

Okay - the point of this post arises. I can't really write real stuff on this android. Short posts, responses on threads - that's about it.  Cannot sit on computer chair. So...is it reasonable to think I'll be able to use this rather than large amount of time to work on my novel?

What do you think? Any suggestions?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad that you're starting to recover, Jan. One day, one breath at a time's the way to go. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you're doing!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jan - I think you need to forget typing etc ... for note taking you could talk into your ipad and it converts for you - a chap I know who is dyslexic is emailing short episodes of his life across to me and I 'translate' (because of the dyslexia) and type them up ... it works.

However what would be better would be to switch off mostly, get a tape recorder perhaps - for notes or chapters etc, but recover as your first priority .. cheers and all the very best - Hilary

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Wishing you a speedy and thorough recovery! My husband had double knee replacement surgery 3 1/2 years ago and it's been like a miracle, so grateful for modern medicine and his excellent surgeon and also therapy team. Now his painful, crippled knees are just a bad memory. No, I don't think you should write! If you want to feel like doing something productive and writerly, then read. Reading books is an important part of being a writer! But let your brain rest, and besides I imagine you're on pain meds for awhile and nobody's brain works well on those.

Jan Morrison said...

Okay my three dear nurses - I shall rest, read, and write short blog posts to keep my hand in. I am drawing daily, which is doable. And although doll making is too complicated for the circumstances, I've been itching to do some embroidery which I can manage. I need to walk, with walker, about the house several times a day. The house is small but I have to fo it and so will. Reading is always on the menu, though even that was getting tougher in the last months of the rotten hip. I'm back in full force on that!

Robyn said...

Sending you well wishes and healing energy! Pretty sure an investment in resting up now will pay off later, so take your time. XOX