Tuesday, April 26, 2016

V is for Sarah Vaughan




My theme this year is the ABCEDARIA of Women who have inspired me


Sarah Vaughan - William P. Gottlieb - No. 1.jpg

V is for the Divine One - Sarah Vaughan

Sarah's life doesn't inspire me, except that she managed to have it and still produce such amazing recordings. She was drawn to bad cats that used and misused her. She married a few of them, got into business with a few more (mostly the same ones) and only barely managed to stay safe because she had some good friends watching out for her. Her music though! That's what inspires me. We have a couple of sets of jazz compilations - like the Birdland recordings, etc... and I love it when I hear Vaughan's sweet tones. 

so listen to this - her recording from Carnegie Hall - her voice is truly at its best.


What do you think? Did you ever get to see her live? Wish I had...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do, too, Jan! But I never did. What a voice she had! An excellent choice.

Bish Denham said...

Oh boy, that voice just makes the hair stand up on my arms. Her and Ella... women I truly admire and respect for their musical talent.

Luana Krause said...

Yes, I am a fan of Sara Vaughan. She was amazing. Inspiring theme.