Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Insecure Writers Support Group Meeting is now called to order

Okay, okay ... I know it is a heck of a time of day to start this thing but I worked all night last night - 8pm to 8am - my very first foray back into the land of the salaried in a very long time. I came home, ate breakfast and went to bed. I slept til 1:30 and got up to have another breakfast (when one's inner clock is frigged eat breakfast is my rule) and then sort of lay about trying to recover. I couldn't sleep all day because I have to sleep tonight as I'm working tomorrow in the daytime (8 to 8).

I'm a writer.
I have no doubt of that.
I'm also a mortgage holder, a grand-baby gift buyer, a consumer or art supplies and pasta, and a lover of new books. In short - I consume so I must labour. It is that simple.

I am a writer.
I have no doubt of that.
I'm also a dog walker, sunrise admirer, friend to many, and ardent supplicant to the world of knowledge.
In short - I am busy burning through my life, hoping not to leave a trace of my existence except a faint perfume on the air - l'air du go go.

I write.
Let's not doubt that.
I sent out a short story to a writing pal yesterday - she's getting back to me. My novel is about to go through its last mighty edit and be flung into the universe, I have poems simmering, poems cooked and poems on the grocery shelf.
In short -

I doubt.
Who would I be without my doubts? A self-confident ning-nong is my guess. An irritating popinjay. An over-exuberant puppy. In short - me but worse.

So now is the time, dear fellow pen wielders to grab the plot by the short curlies and OUCH - don't do that! Now is the time, as it always is and always will be - to write. Get thee to thy desks (or tables in fabulous little cafes if you must) and pour forth.

I'll be the one here tip tap tapping.

5 comments:

Liza said...

Go to it, Jan. You can do it all!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's some crazy hours you keep.
Glad your new book will be out soon!

Anonymous said...

Jan - What a schedule! And you do so many other things too! But as you say, when you're a writer, it's in you. You write. That's what you do.

Stephen Tremp said...

Hi Jan, you have to do what you have to do regardless of the hours you keep. Good luck with everything!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Jan: Wow, I love these sketchbook pictures you're making. I need to dust my art supplies off. I think it's wonderful to have more than one path to creativity. The Muse must stretch. :)
Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my long-neglected blog.