Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Y is for Yes (and Ya No)


Y is for Yes and Ya No

Yes to life, yes to trouble, yes to trying, yes to the whole shebang. Except when Y is for Ya No. That is when you've taken the idea into your heart, using all your awakeness, knowing your energy level, and most importantly - your own purpose and finding that the request just doesn't merit a yes.

Let's look at what some of us just did (or nearly - I could trip up tomorrow!). We did the A to Z challenge. We said yes. I'm pleased. I didn't do it to increase readership as I don't get around enough now. I did it so I could exercise my essay writing muscle with something that is congenial. It fits into my life and doesn't go against my purpose - since by writing about something that is an issue for me I was giving myself pep talks as well as anyone who wandered by. Last fall I said NO to NaNoWriMo - why? It is heaps of fun, a great crowd, I will do it if I say I will - all good, eh? Ya No, I don't need yet another half-done manuscript - I just don't. I've tried it for revising but it doesn't work for me. I will do it again sometime but it was a definite Ya No for me.

So, if you are a yes person and it meets your requirements then keep on keepin' on but if you say yes for the wrong reasons (over adaptation, being kind, currying favour) then become a Ya No person!

I said Yes to a trip out to Robin's cabin (see that wooden box attached to the ski-do - my throne). It was worth it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan - There are definitely two kinds of yeses. One kind opens you to new possibilities and new growth. The other traps you in other people's expectations, and that's limiting. Two sides of the same word...

Bish Denham said...

You did go. So did all of us who are panting as we near the finish line. :)