Saturday, June 2, 2012

Free Falling...

It is Saturday mid-afternoon. I've read both papers - the Globe and the local trash. I've written my allotment on my new novel - in fact I'm ahead of the game. I only need to write a little over 800 words a day to meet my goal of 25 thousand on the new novel and I've already done over 3000 in two days but I like to get up a bit of a lead in the first week. I don't know much about what is going on in the novel yet. I know it is about a woman in her late forties with two daughters at home and a recently failed marriage. She lives in a small town and her youngest daughter is a real trial - not entirely sure why. I like her - the mum I mean - I think I can hang with her for the time it takes to create a finished novel. That's important to me. I'm impressed and slightly flabbergasted at those authors who create banal or evil people and then have to be in their heads for months or even years. Not for me. Sure, some people who I don't like have to show up - just like in life - but not as the protagonist.
It is a total joy to be at this beginning stage again. I've been revising for so long now that I forgot what a rush it is to create out of my mind and heart whole worlds. Wow!
Speaking of wow and free falling did I tell you that I went to a rock concert?Yes I did and now I'm going to tell you more. I went to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with my eldest son on Thursday night. What a show. I am not going to go on about it as I want to put it somewhere in my book but WHAT A SHOW! What you need to know is that I was never a Tom Petty fan. But now I am. It was like being at a church revival - in a large tent (well a large building) with a crowd of believers who knew all the words to all the prayers. It was wild. We were on the floor in the ninth row - hugely close. We had to stand for most of it only because of my back I couldn't so I would sit down and then I could hear the inane conversation from the people behind. They'd paid about 200 bucks for a ticket but wanted to say stupid things like "oh man it's Tom Petty right there babe." "Love you babe, happy birthday. Isn't this awesome?" over and over and over again. Because they were drunk and stoned and don't even know that they paid a fortune to shout at each other. I think I could hear them so well because I was wearing ear plugs - my fella told me that I should bring them and man oh man am I glad I did cuz it was LOUD. When you wear them you can hear certain frequencies and one of them was this guy's voice. Arggh. Once I took one out just for a second so I could tell Jesse something (with them in I couldn't speak loud enough - yeah I know but it's true) and it was the most terrible huge rush of noise that I quickly banged it back in. Wow! The music was terrific - just fantastic and he played twenty songs - the crowd was so appreciative - it was the first time Petty had played in Halifax - and they were thrilled with the response. The other thing - the most important thing was that they really and so obviously love what they do. Tom Petty is a couple of years older than me and his band has been with him for most of his singing life and they are all fabulous musicians who appear to truly love each other and love the music they play. You can't beat that. You simply can't. I was a physical wreck at the end and I was an audience member - how Petty and his pals kept moving and rocking for about two and a half hours is beyond me. Good drugs I guess.
Speaking of drugs I have to go plant a big pot I bought the other day. Part of the tarting up of the house for sale reasons but really I love planting flowers! That's the sort of pot I'm interested in -not the Mary Jane that was wafting through the Metro Centre at the concert. Oh but it is good to hear a wonderful cranking old rock group now and then. The warm-up act was The Blind Boys of Alabama. They were fantastic - I love gospel - too bad we don't have any good gospel music in the Buddhist tradition! Ah well. They played Tom Waite's Down in the Hole (The Wire's theme) and Amazing Grace to the tune of The House of the Rising Son.
OK - I said I wasn't going to go on but I did. Later you all - hope you're having a swell weekend. I am.

4 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Hi, Jan. Sounds like you had a fabulous time. I used to listen to lots of Tom Petty! I'm glad to hear they had a great concert. Not long ago someone stole their guitars from a soundstage here in LA. Luckily, the guitars were located after the guy tried to pawn them.

Liza said...

I love Tom Petty...I never expected to...but I do. I think it is because he sings from the heart...and something about the way he does...speaks to mine.

Faith Pray said...

So many delights in one post! Okay, first, hooray on your new work in progress! I love that rush of a new world taking shape in your heart and head, and then on the page! And I love The Blind Boys - boy, they can bring the blues home, can't they? Fun! The thing that stuck with me the most from your post is what you said about Tom Petty and his gang, that they really love what they do. That's what I want. To love what I do. and to love more, and complain less!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jan, I am so glad you got to see Tom Petty!! He and his team put on a terrific performance don't they? My husband and I saw them once in Philadelphia - such a fabulous night. I'm very happy for you that you saw them too.