I will post on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays - except for during April in which I will blog every day as part of the A-Z Challenge! Tuesdays will be my day to focus on my own writing process, on Thursdays I will go back to my Tips from the Tops (where I glean my writing sources for good writing tips) and Saturdays will be on the external life of a writer - anything goes!
So, without further ado, here is my first Tuesday post of the new regime:
Getting my manuscript done and dusted - off to the contest with its package of four page synopsis and a small essay on why I was entering the particular award competition happened on March 1st. Since then I've done nothing on True or any other wip. Here are my thoughts about next plans:
- I will finish my one-page synopsis of True - by March 11
- I will write four query letters - each geared to the agents I've researched - by March 14th
- I will send off four packages to four agents - My March 18
- I will send one to two packages a month until I hear back from someone. These other packages will be to either agents in the States or to Canadian publishers.
- I will begin my revision process with TRW by writing a Hero's Journey Synopsis - by April 1st.
- Using the above as my template I will begin a big picture revision of TRW - I will continue to revise going through all the steps - structure, clarity, setting, characters, dialogue, themes, rhythm, language - until I have something to send to the person who edits for me - finish by June 1st
- When I get it back I will incorporate changes
- I will create query packages for publishers that I've researched - synopsis, bio, letter, etc...because this is a mystery I will probably avoid trying for an agent. - by July 1st
How do you keep yourself on track - the writing track that is?
Oh Oh - I forgot that this was Insecure Writers Support Group day. ARGGGH! First one I've missed. I offer this for any who wander by looking for it - the best way to treat insecurity (for me) is to write through it. My image is that of holding a candle and walking a long and sometimes treacherous, sometimes boring, sometimes beautiful path. I have to keep the candle lit and move forward. I will meet inner and outer demons on the path - those that want to smother my candle with too much attention - those that want to blow the flame out because of insecurity or jealousy - those who will walk with me for a ways and encourage my journey. I must not lose my intention. I must not listen to the naysayers - those who nay say out of either fear or envy. I must not listen to those who spew hyperbole either - too much of that and I forget what I am doing. When the going gets tough I remember my dad and recall that in those instances 'the tough get going'. When the landscape is boring and seems endless (the middle of the wip?) I remember to pay attention with greater diligence - that nothing is boring when I am awake. I know I will get to the end of this path and I treasure the travel as much if not more than the destination. Much love to you all wherever you are on your path - protect your flame with all your heart!