Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tuesday Challenge - counting our blessings

For today's challenge I have dipped into  Write for Your Lives by Joseph Sestito.  Sestito is a Buddhist and writes about how Buddhist teachings can inspire creative writing. From the chapter called Using Your Precious Human Life to the Fullest  he writes about developing our sense of auspiciousness. To do this he suggests that we get in touch with how lucky we are to have arrived in our particular situation. He goes further and suggests that we write down everything from the most general auspicious details of our situation (I would say that I was born in a favoured and wealthy country at a time that is good for both women and men etc...) and our particular blessings (I met various people who mentored me in enlightened ways). You can do this for whatever particular spiritual practice you may have or just for your sense of meaningful existence. As a writer please go on to list those things that gave birth in you to that discipline - i.e. -

  • I have a partner who supports my writing even when it is a financial burden. 
  • I have a friend who is a published writer and generous with her help. 
  • I have a strong network of writers on the web who have created a community of encouragement. 
You get the idea. So, write up your list and put it somewhere you can read it daily. I would like you to read it daily for a month - slowly and with careful intention. If you meditate you could put it on your cushion so it is part of your practice. You might put it over your writing desk or even on your fridge. Don't be shy with it - or self-conscious. If someone sees it what might they think? That you are grateful for your precious life, that is what. After you have done this for a month keep it handy for any times you slip back into lethargy or feel baulky about your practice as a writer. As you work through the next month feel free to add to your list as ideas arise. 
What do you count as a blessing in your writing life?

3 comments:

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

One of my blessings, I've developed an attitude of feeling I've accomplished something even if I've only written a sentence.
Mary

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, great idea, Jan. Good to remember all the things that bring us to our usness and have made this moment in our lives what it is.

Anonymous said...

Jan - Oh, how important it is that we remember what is good in our lives! And what a terrific way to keep that in our minds. Thanks!