Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday and I'm feeling spunky like a monkey...

Yep - feel like I just came out of a cloud. A cloud of pretending I didn't have lots to do and little time to do it in. I'm going through paperwork and making socks and thinking about my next changes. Been doing some more research for my novel. Can you believe it? I have lots in there about Canadian Aboriginal beliefs etc... and I need to pay attention to it. As is everything in the early drafts (say the first fifteen) I am telling myself the story and I just throw things in to keep the places. Now I have to get serious - which of these things do I need to either expand on, clarify or toss?
Sort of like the paperwork I'm doing. Looking at each tiny receipt and going - yay, nay or huh? For those of you who are mothers you might think of this stage as when you do a mammoth clean of a kid's room and you are now down to the lego, tiny cars, elastic bands, grommets, and mysterious bits of metal (boys) or the itty-bitty barrettes, thousands of pieces of paper with drawings on them, crayon fragments and bits of mysterious plastic (girls). One simply has to touch each piece and make a decision. And absolutely no-one is going to come and save the day and do it for you. They can't. You have to. YIKES!
So, I'm going to walk Hoagy because he hasn't been out yet for a pee and the chickens made a prison break this morning - Ron had to let them out of the pen (their fenced in bit of yard) early because several of them had gone over the fence. Yep - jail break! We usually let them out later in the day because we are hoping they'll lay some damn eggs and so we can put Hoagy on his lead in the back. No biggy - I was going to take him for a stroll anywho. So walk the beast, look at bits of paper and then head for work in town. All the while considering the overhaul of the plot.
Don't forget that tomorrow will be the first Friday Tuesday Challenge! I'll try and come up with a doozy for you.
Black Bart and Bella forage for goodies

6 comments:

Bish Denham said...

Little bits of plastic! It's everywhere. Even our writing needs to have all bits of plastic expunged.

Those chickens...off for a joy stroll in the woods where the peckings are good.

Hart Johnson said...

That's a good analogy--cleaning the kids room. Hubby would pretty much sweep it all up and toss it, so he can't be trusted to the job--what if something valuable gets chucked! Hope the chickens turn themselves in peacefully...

H. L. Banks said...

How I remember those room cleaning days and a few mistaken tosses - good analogy. Looking foward to reading tomorrow's challenge - I'll rest up tonight.

Anonymous said...

Jan - First - I love that 'photo! I'm so glad you've got the main pieces of your story going :-). And I do exactly the same thing when I clean (I like that analogy to a manuscript, too!). I decide what to keep, donate or throw away. When I write, I decide what to keep as is, revise or simply get rid of...

Maria Zannini said...

I love the prison break!

My chickens free range. I put them up at night.

Your chickens might not lay this late in the year. The days are getting shorter.

You could put a light in their pen for 2-3 extra hours. Sometimes that induces them to lay.

Jan Morrison said...

Hi all goils! Yep, the prison break wasn't so much as a break as an early release - they free range daily but we don't usually let them out until late morning in the hopes that they not lay eggs in the woods. Sorry for confusion. And yep, they might not lay though our other flocks have laid through the winter with no problem - these guys are just late starting and may decide to wait until spring to begin. But for you chicken lovers - you can find out more about our flock and adventures on Living the Complicated Simple Life - see side-bar. The chickens come home every night to roost - as soon as dusk gathers. I like that - better than Hoagy!