Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Month of Fridays continued...


Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday Challenge

Are those of you with kids tuckered right out? Did you long for the little buggers to go back to school only to remember that it means you will be working your tush right off its frame organizing lunch and soccer practice and violin lessons and helping them with their trigonometry? Are you like me and feel the great good desire to make buckets of granola and proper yoghurt and maybe even give home-made health bars a try? 
And perhaps even if you don't have any kids you have noticed a general 'pitter patter let's fly atter' sort of  feeling around the town. Only if you live in the Northern Hemisphere, of course, and a bit north of the equator. A proper four season kind of place that has a built-in 'let us gather nuts for the winter' vibe.  For unlike the Caribbean - one day is not the same as another.  If you don't phone up the garage to get in line for a fall tune-up and a time to put your winter tires on - if god forbid you don't have any winter tires at all - well me ducky - you're in for a nasty surprise, wha?!
In honour of this winding down of the sweet halcyon days of summer, the autumnal slide into the frozen muck of the mean November streets, I offer a bizarre and wonderful Friday Challenge for you all.
I want you to go for a walk. And not think of what you have to, should, might, or can't do. No doing at all. Just a walk to remind yourself of the most important thing. Ah, come on, you know what it is - don't make Crazy Jane spell it out for you. All you need to do is breathe in and out and notice the colours, the smells, the sounds and the feelings in your body as it moves through space. When you begin to fret and moan about the deadlines, the demands, the pressures of being on the planet at this time, just shake those thoughts out of your noggin and remember what is important. 
What. Is. Important.
note: you're allowed to take a dog but not a human unless it is a baby and a very lullable baby at that...no talking, no thinking. Lose your mind and come to your senses.
There. Done.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan - What a great idea for a challenge! I actually depend on my walks with our dogs for just that reason. It helps me breathe and step back. It also refreshes me to get back into things....

Claire Robyns said...

Walking in total silence to clear your head and appreciate nature is a lost science to me, especially since the kids came along. But I think autumn is the perfect time to celebrate nature, even though everything is actually dying, to me the world seems at it's most alive.

Maria Zannini said...

The problem with taking a walk around our property is that it always reminds of something else that needs doing. LOL. Still, it's my favorite part of the day.

Thanks so much for popping in at my place, Jan. I've also added your Simple Life blog to my reader.

Liza said...

Ha! I beat you! I did it two days ago and yesterday too! Today I had to work all day but I think I'll get another walk in tomorrow! Sigh! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Absolutely perfect idea! I'll do it tomorrow ... and the next day too :)

Misty Moncur said...

I think you're right. That's exactly what I need today!