Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Tuesday without Gwen...and the spectre of my alter ego 'the writing princess'

What is a writing day without my pal, Gwen, working away on her novel while I work on mine? Gwen has real work today. (just put a $ sign in for 'real' and you'll have it). Our work is 'spec' work. Or 'dream' work. Or maybe just catching out of the corner of your eye, your partner or a pal who is doing the slightest eye roll when you discuss what you've been up to with a third party. Right, he's thinking, I'm off lifting heavy things with my arms and she's writing. Not that sweet patootie ever says such a thing. He really doesn't. But I imagine him thinking it and that, my friend, is poison.


my old pal, Queen Elizabeth, when she was a writing princess...

Perhaps, I go on to imagine, I am a writing princess. 'Shshush kids, the writing princess is attempting conflict.' And 'no, the writing princess can't pick you up after choir, she's at a writing retreat, which she paid for by trading therapy for the cabin. No, I'm afraid there's no bacon left - the writing princess took it with her to the cabin to share with the other writing princess and we can't afford another package for awhile. Like when the writing princess gets published which is sure to be soon because she's special.'

Today - I will fully indulge my inner writing princess. She will be allowed free rein (reign?) to be princessy - demanding, sulky if ignored, petulant and pouty. Luckily no one but Hoagy will be the wiser as to this alter-ego being encouraged. And he won't care because his true princess, Val, is coming out to take him for a walk. He would do anything for her so won't notice me poncing about being royal.
Let me know about your alter-egos if you will. Do you have precious pups lurking in your psyche?

14 comments:

Alex Ong said...

So far, in this part of my writing journey, the soundtrack to Chess, a closed door, some red wine, and saying no like an introverted monk gives me the private space and headspace to get words down.

Alex
Breakfast Every Hour

Words A Day said...

I've a secret inner mystic princess who feels a sense of entitlement to silence (and wine)...she stays up all night long writing at the kitchen table feeling "enraptured."

It's all very well for her but I'm the one who has to find matching socks for the kids in the morning with eyes that won't open properly!

Liza said...

Haven't made it to "Inner-Princess Land" yet. I'm so content writing when no one is around, but find myself casting furtive glances when anyone else is is present, and feeling guilty that writing is not $working. Sigh.

Helen Ginger said...

If I had to choose an inner princess, she would be Cinderella. Unfortunately, she's still in maid mode. I await the inner princess to emerge.

John Atkinson said...

Jan, stop by and see what the book critics have to say about my latest novel Timekeeper II. It's released today.
Best,
http://www.atkinsontimekeeper.com/

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I would love to indulge my writing princess! What a great idea! :) Seems like I'm always squeezing my time in.

Jan Morrison said...

why,Alex, I do believe you have an inner princess! OK, an inner monk but your inner monk has an inner princess...

Oh Niamh, my inner princess made me dump my response to you!! good grief. she had to take a break while I made a week's supply of granola and dinner. I'm going to take her with me to hear Lawrence Hill read from The Book of Negroes tonight so she'll get over it.

Lisa - that is your inner princess sighing. If you keep her restrained for too long she'll turn those sighs to temper tantrums!

Helen - oh and you had all that training - you have a mermaid princess!

John - what a great review! You must be thrilled!

Unknown said...

Oh, I have one of those lurking inside! I'm happy to let her out once and awhile and she goes riding. Clarissa is scared of horses but her inner princess looks nice in her riding outfit. Well, my inner princess is demanding tea, so I bid you adieu!

Clarissa and the princess

Hart Johnson said...

I LOVE your writing princess, Jan! And Mr. Tart actually occasionally SAYS things about the writing (mostly in the form of what I am neglecting)--damn him, he's even learned to duck.

My inner writer is a little like Howard Hughes, only female... Naked. surrounded by half dressed men, but irritable about any interruptions--especially interruptions that demand money--GRRRRRRR! (why won't they let me force my children into gainful employment? Why won't they let my 11 year old drive? Why can't anybody in my home get their own darned snack?

Carol Kilgore said...

How I would love to be a writing princess!

Alas, I am but a poor scullery maid dreaming of words and dashing to write them down between tasks of pure drudgery.

Sigh.

Daisy Hickman said...

Loved it, Jan! An inner princess sounds like a lovely concept! --Daisy in Sunny Room Studio

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love the idea of an inner princess to replace my Nagging Whisper. I'm sure she'd be kind, give me all the chocolate I wanted, and never make me work when I wanted to play. :)

Patricia

出合いサイト said...

今最高にアツい出合いサイトをご存知ですか?恋愛に繋がる出会いは必ずある!ほんとに出合いの無い人だけアクセスして下さい!業者が蔓延しているSNS系サイトよりも出合いサイトが今アツい!

金儲け said...

アナタは大金持ちになれるか!?あなたの行動から心理、果ては金運まであらゆる金儲けのための資質を調べます!意外と金儲けは簡単に出来る!?あなたの知らないテクニックを紹介!