Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I'm back!

Hello all dear peoples! I got back late yesterday. Back to my sweet patootie who I missed like anything and back to the chaos. We moved my office before I left but there were a lot of connectivity problems with the wireless and my aged beast of a computer. Now I'm up and running and want to talk not too much but just tell you that I did write on the train especially going to Montreal and Gwen and I told each other our novels, exposing all the structural and plotical things that weren't there or weren't clear. I highly recommend this practice. The deal is to tell it like a teenager tells you the story of a movie he or she has just seen - all 'then this happened and oh yah, I forgot to tell you that ...blah blah' without looking at beat sheets or your own carefully constructed summary (you do have one of those don't you???) The listener writes down what you are saying in point form as quickly as she can. I have the sheets that Gwen wrote - I haven't looked at them yet but I will!
I just loaded my pics (147 after lots of editing) and will give you a sense of the trip - the train, Montreal and the train again. I must tell you that my feet are ruint, positively ruint - that I have to go see my osteopath/acupuncturist to see if he can put them right and I MUST deal with my aging body...
The conference was wonderful - Transactional Analysts are wonderful folks, who don't care if they are delivering a scientific paper - if they need to cry - they do so. They also party like there is no tomorrow. As my friend, Susanne, said 'I feel like I could go up to any one of these people and just start in talking in an intimate fashion with no awkwardness.' Yep!

BORING PART ONLY FOR TECHNO WHACK JOBS LIKE ME: Here is a disclaimer about the photos - I put them in picassa and edited them as always then uploaded them to a photo file on my computer - and I have noticed that lots of them aren't edited and I can't say why...because I don't get it. This has happened a few times. I may try again later and I pulled some of the ones off that just don't make it in their raw format but dang it is annoying! If any of you know what I mean and have a way to fix this dilemna please let me know...

gwen on the train...
train photos by the zillions...


coming into Montreal, the home of freewheeling graffiti
Notre Dame Cathedral
just off University Ave.
a few shots from Prince Arthur St. where Susanne took me on a trip down her memory lane as a student at McGill...
Susanne at the Polish restaurant
the night gets richer
other street views
Marion and I in front of Place des Arts and the Contemporary Art Gallery

real contemporary art...
where Susanne and I stayed - Victoria Residence
my dear dear teachers and peers, Nancy and Curtis accept the Hedges Caper Humanatarian Award at the ITAA conference for all their work in Cuba.
Susanne tries to find the bagel place while I eat Singapore Noodles in Chinatown
Marion prepares for a manicure (yes, we both got one!)
dancing at the gala dinner...
more contemporary art found in front of Contemporary Art Gallery
the trip home...


Gwen and I made a friend - Devon!

13 comments:

Summer Ross said...

what a pretty place

Mason Canyon said...

Great photos, looks like you had fun. Glad you're home safe and sound. Devon looks like he will be breaking some hearts as he gets older. :)

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jemi Fraser said...

Your new buddy's a cutie! Sounds and looks like you had a great time - awesome!! :)

Unknown said...

Montreal is a such a beautiful place. So is Quebec city. My husband wants to take my family across Canada. To visit the Maritime Provinces and Niagara Falls.
CD

Natasha said...

What a lovely place.

And after editing on Picassa, did you save them? If you didn't, when you view them on PIcassa, the edits are there, but when you upload them, it uploads the original raw format.

Jan Morrison said...

Thanks Summer - it is a pretty bunch of places I guess - Montreal is a beautiful and interesting city...and train landscape is always a different one that any you can see from the road.
Mason - oh, the eyelashes on the boy. He was a total dear one...
Jemi - yes, I had a very good time - full and delightful.
Clarissa - then you can come and see me! That would be so fun.
Natasha - yes - when I finished editing - I uploaded them to my computer - last night after I did this I uploaded them again under another name and think I might have my edits now. Don't know that I'll go back and change these though - too much time to spend!

Hart Johnson said...

That oral telling sounds PAINFUL. I have so much trouble listening quietly while my daughter tells me about movies--drives me NUTS! That said, it DOES sound like a useful exercise. Glad your conference was so great. It ends up I don't get to go to Montreal, which makes me sad, as it looks wonderful, but is probably GOOD because the conference timing would be terrible for me.

notesfromnadir said...

I always enjoy looking at travel pictures -- especially places I haven't visited.

Aren't digital cameras great?! 147 pictures -- w/ film you're lucky to get 36 & you have to wait for those! :)

Talli Roland said...

Oh you have made me heartsick for Montreal. I lived there for two years and loved it so much.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

These pictures are amazing! Wish I could see Montreal in person.

Glad you're back safely and that your out-loud synopsis of your writing worked so well!

DazyDayWriter said...

Looks like a great trip, Jan; really enjoyed your photos ... wonderful, enchanted, compelling! The verbal synopsis exercise makes sense ... saying something out loud liberates our words from paper and provides clarity. Great idea!

Hope you'll stop by www.sunnyroomstudio.com one of these days -- talking about chickens on blog! Fun post, great picture of an actual prairie chicken.

Have a lovely day! --Daisy

Niamh said...

Welcome back - looks like a great trip, i love looking at other peoples photos! Thats a great tip Jan, I've tried that with my partner, really notice the plot points that I end up over explaining or justifying - its a real clue that I dont fully trust their truth. I think this kind of telling works very well with a non-writer friend because its like a story and their less likely to focus on pov etc... and just concentrate on the story.

Jan Morrison said...

Tartlette - well it isn't quite as bad as having a thirteen year old tell the story of Mimento but it is close! I guess it is akin to taking all the wallpaper off and just looking at the bare structure of the joint!
NfN - yes, I remember it well - only it was sort of like Christmas to open up the envelope and see what was there!
Talli - lucky girl - not that London isn't the most delightful place in the worldly world!
Elizabeth - oh, I have no doubt you'll be up there one day on a book tour! Or you could take your sweet patootie but no kids - it is a romantic spot!
Daisy - oh thank you! I love taking pictures (almost as much as I love writing...) I went to your site and commented - I love chicken chatting!
Niamh - that is exactly my experience! It really works...plus you intrigue the others on the train.