Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday Challenge!



Today's challenge is for you to declutter your hearts and minds. Over the next week, let's say, I challenge you to make up a list of things you'd attend to if you were forced to leave your life as it is. (death, going off to take care of someone, taking vows at the abbey) Who would you want to connect with, what lingering details of your life are weighing down your spirit and cluttering up your brain pan? Do you have some people that you need to invite for dinner? Do you have an argument to mend or a photo album to put together? How about promises you've made and just let gather dust. And believe me when I tell you to include promises to yourself! Now, before you get all panicky with this - you don't have to DO your list in the next week. You just need to surface it and decide which things would be most compelling if you had no time to spare. Got it? I'll make up my own list so you have an idea -
1. Meet with B. to discuss food for final send-off.
2. Choose photo for gift and get it enlarged and framed.
3. take ferry to Tancook Island with M. for a day of strolling and photo taking.
4. host a babes slumber party here with as many movies by Robert Altman as we can stand.
5. Make deadlines for all writing projects in order of what seems most important.
6. Clean up finances.
7. write long letters to all the most important people in my life for sending after I am gone.
8. Make a list of books that I really want to read before I can't - and NOT Proust!
9. collect all my favorite recipes together.
10. organize my photos.

OK - that's not quite it but it'll get there. Good luck.

3 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

I would put organize photos and clean out junk. I say that because at the moment we are cleaning out our storage room and transferring stuff to one we built on our property. So much stuff I had totally forgotten about! Ye gads!

Helen
Straight From Hel

Hart Johnson said...

So I don't have to ACTUALLY make peace with my mother... just put it on a list, right? Because I'm not quite there yet, but I think I can write down that I WANT to do it...

I think other than that, I would LABEL so my husband wouldn't just trash the things that my kids probably eventually WANT (at least my daughter--she is a sentimental pack-rat like her mum)... but if I go before my husband, I'm pretty darned sure he'd just clear it all out.

Jemi Fraser said...

I like the idea of writing letters to my loved ones. I think I might do that one. :)