Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dön Season

welcome to the year of the metal tiger!

"Dön Season" refer to sudden attacks of depression, resentment, anger, or other negative emotions -- like an unpredictable flu that takes us over. In the last 10 days before the Tibetan Buddhist New Year, it is said that one can be more susceptible to dons, so it is a particularly good time to hear teachings about working with obstacles. (from the Shambhala International web page)



This sunday in the Buddhist calendar is the New Year - sometimes called lhosa but for those of us in the west usually referred to as Shambhala Day. I love it - it is another time for fresh start and there is always lots of fun to be had with my dharma pals. And the time before this is the dreaded dons. Yikes! I like to think of it as pms of the world. It is the time when the accumulated karma of the year can affect us in unpleasant ways. Sometimes it is best to retreat - to lay low and practice. It is always a time to remember the paramitas - especially patience.

In the northern hemisphere it coincides with the cold mean last days of winter so it is easy to see how patience could run out and people be hard pressed to remember loving kindness.

One of the most important things to remember is to be kind to yourself. If you lose your temper remember you can always call it back. And don't spend any time remonstrating with yourself over losing it in the first place as that is time you will not have again.

If you have a practice such as prayer, meditation, yoga or even walking - now is the time to practice it with exertion. It will keep you and those around you safe.

It is said that this is not the time for big changes, signing contracts, mortgage financing, and so forth. Keep it in neutral if you've already begun such things and try to make the closing dates, the signing dates, the big decisions until after the 14th.

This is a very good time to clean your homes, your creative spaces, your sacred spaces. Get out those brooms and dusters and get rid of those projects that are just collecting negative energy. Everytime I look at certain things I get guilty - either do it or lose it! Simplify if you can and remember that these winter months are the best time to have your friends and family over to play music, tell stories and eat good food.

I have linked you to a very good post on this over at Elephant - the author's comparison of the dons to being with being around teens is very apt for me right now!



http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/02/the-don-season-and-little-big-me/

7 comments:

joe doaks-Author said...

I surely do love this thought..."And don't spend any time remonstrating with yourself over losing it in the first place as that is time you will not have again."

Yes, how true. How much time do we (well, okay, me) waste chasing or worrying about things that are beyond recall, or, our control. I'm trying to improve this area of my life.

Best Wishes Galen.
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Hart Johnson said...

So we've got the annual equivalent of Saturn's wrath, eh? Makes TOTAL sense... And I'm living with someone trying to quit smoking. He will like the news though, that I'm meant to be cleaning, so maybe that will balance things...

You know, I have ALWAYS hated this time of year (typically I've said it was February, but I've come to accept I'm not so keen on January either... This makes a lot of sense as to why. It's a shame I can't hybernate.

Tigers though... I like those tigers. (two in my family, and one of the two signs most compatible with we horses)

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I haven’t been crazy about how my New Year is going so far so I think, I’ll work hard on my Yoga practice and hope the Buddhist New Year gets me off to a better start.

Elspeth Futcher said...

This explains my present mood. Thanks.

Jemi Fraser said...

Really interesting stuff! I don't have much knowledge in this area, but it makes sense!

Natasha said...

Jan, that really explains my current mood. I have been "off" for about a week now, and was wondering why it was so. Will just wait out till the end of the year.
And if you hop across to my blog, you will find something for you there. Something I just had to pass onto you.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Well who knew? And I thought it was just me. There is comfort in knowing how connected we humans are. The fact that blogging friends from all over are experiencing the same sense of malaise is fascinating.